- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
- Free Thyroxine (FT4)
- Free Triiodothyronine (FT3)
What is a Thyroid Function test?
Our Thyroid Function test measures thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), free triiodothyronine (T3) and free thyroxine (T4) in your blood. When these hormones are outside of normal levels it can be a sign of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) or an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).
Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is produced by the pituitary which is a small gland located underneath the brain. TSH then prompts the thyroid gland to produce thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Free Thyroxine (T4) is the portion of T4 that is freely available for use by the body. The rest of the T4 is bound to proteins in the blood. Free triiodothyronine (T3) is more potent than T4, but is produced in smaller amounts by the body. Free T3 is the portion of T3 that is freely available for use by the body. The rest of the T3 is bound to proteins in the blood.
You should take this test if you suspect you have symptoms related to thyroid issues including fatigue, hot flushes, gastrointestinal issues, mood swings, trouble sleeping, or muscle weakness.
What is included
- A finger prick kit and vials for blood collection
- A clear set of instructions
- A pre-paid, self-adhesive shipping label
- Results from an accredited lab within 3 days of receipt
- Access to your own online dashboard to view your detailed results